Thursday, August 21, 2008

Dollar Store Run and Craft Day

After the play-party the other night, I got some interesting ideas for pervertibles and decided to go on a hunt. Off to the Dollar Store I went!

Click, of course, for a larger image. There are four different types of clips: wooden clothespins for the purists, rubberized spring clips, hard plastic spring clips and metal spring clips. They all have different strengths. I also picked up the makeup and pencil cases I have them in.

The red fuzzy thing is a mini-duster. Very soft and tickly. The black things below the duster are vinyl headbands. They actually deliver a decent stinging slap, and one has tiny vinyl teeth on one side. I'm trying to decide if I want to try to fabricate some sort of handle for them.

Then there's the black spatula. Don't laugh, I saw one used to good effect at the party. ;) Then a dish brush with two nice scratchy brush surfaces with different textures. There's a three-pack of hand sanitizer, a package of thumbtacks, and a pair of thin work gloves with a slightly nubbly grip surface on the palm. The long thing in the upper right: a two pack of glow-stick necklaces. *grin* 22", whippy and stingy, and come with a black plastic sleeve to protect them before you actually want to use them. The sleeve itself is also interestingly stingy, and in a slightly different way.

A nice selection of stuff, no? And right around fifteen bucks, including tax.

Now, last night, during our weekly tabletop roleplaying game (my entire gaming group is kinky. It's actually very cool), I pull out one of the gloves, some glue, and the thumbtacks. Normally during the game I'm snuggling on the couch with CK, so he was understandably curious when I started focusing on my project instead. SC caught what I was doing almost immediately and started grinning. FM couldn't quite see me from his angle, so he just glanced over once in a while to see what was happening.

Once it became obvious what I was doing, CK perked up. "What does that feel like?" "Can I feel it?" I kept getting at various points of my creative process. *grin* I finally finished the prototype. I think I may redo it with the other glove, because the first one just ain't cute. But, just so you can see:

It's interesting. When I first tried it out, I was obviously using it too lightly, because CK started laughing from the tickling. I finally found the right pressure after a few tries and feedback from the boy.

Slightly off-topic, but that's one thing I need to work on with any implement: Because I'm new and I don't really know what the real effect of some of these things are when wielded by another person, I tend to be too timid. I need to be less cautious, but I also don't want to go too hard, either. I'll find a balance eventually, after some practice.

No comments: